Phi Mu Fraternity Executive Director
Seeking to identify a dynamic nonprofit executive prepared to build upon the current successes of the women’s Fraternity as well as partner with the National Council (Board of Directors) to manage organizational change. As Executive Director, the successful candidate will serve as the chief staff executive overseeing the operations and activities of Phi Mu. This candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing a strategic plan, as well as cultivating and maintaining effective staff performance and culture to assure the attainment of the organization’s strategic initiatives.
The successful candidate will be a senior executive with at least 10 years of related experience working with top-level management and non-profit volunteers, a skilled talent manager with the ability to build trust, motivate and work with others, a strong ability to create and execute plans that tie to Phi Mu’s strategic priorities and an innovative and forward-thinking leader. Proven financial management will also be key for a successful candidate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Within the limits of organizational policies and guiding documents established by National Council, the Executive Director is responsible for and has commensurate authority to accomplish the following duties and responsibilities. Without relinquishing accountability, the Executive Director may delegate portions of the assigned responsibilities of the role consistent with sound operations and staff competency together with proportionate authority to achieve fulfillment.
Organizational Leadership and Strategic Forethought/Execution:
- Provide oversight and guidance to all programs and staff while being appropriately present and accessible.
- Provide direction and support to the staff team including monitoring staff performance.
- Ensure an adequate staffing plan and appropriate staff competencies based on the position and needs of the organization, including appropriate delegation of well-defined authority and appropriate compensation within budgetary limits.
- Responsible for the administration of personnel policy, for hiring of key management personnel and overseeing the hiring of support personnel, maintenance of salary administration procedures and ultimate responsibility and authority for promotions and terminations.
- Ensure a growth-oriented, skill-centered environment in which staff grows and develops skills helpful to meeting the goals and objectives of the organization.
- Develop short- and long-range goals for staff based on the strategic plan of the organization.
- Maintain and oversee the crisis management plan and respond to emergency situations as they arise.
- Serve as chief administrator, ensuring that legal and financial responsibilities are met, agreements are fulfilled and effective vendor relationships, including legal counsel, accounting firm, insurance company, public relations and financial institutions are maintained.
- Authorize, execute or delegate such contracts, agreements and commitments as may be necessary to carry out the goals and objectives of Phi Mu.
- Execute or delegate such other general responsibilities as may be delegated by National Council.
- Be knowledgeable about and maintain the bylaws, policies and processes of Phi Mu.
- Accountable for housing operations for the National Housing Corporation.
- Develop an annual operating budget with input from staff, committees and appropriate volunteers.
- Develop, as part of the budgeting process, recommendations on resources necessary to adequately support the organization.
- Manage the budget and cash flow of Phi Mu using financial resources in a prudent and effective manner.
- Ensure the preparation of monthly financial statements which accurately reflect the financial condition of Phi Mu.
- Manage the organization’s licensed vendor program and ensure effective vendor partner contracts and relationships.
- Oversee the authorized and proper expenditures of funds and assure that all funds, physical assets and other property of Phi Mu are appropriately safeguarded and administered.
- Partner with an outside certified audit firm for the purpose of auditing the Fraternity’s financial operations.
Executive Council and Volunteer Engagement
- Ensure that National Council is appropriately informed on the activities and operations of the organization including proactive communication around progress toward strategic goals and financial performance.
- Attend National Council meetings and contribute to the agendas and materials.
- Provide oversight and recommendations for governance training, board education and best practices.
- Provide appropriate and competent staff counterparts to volunteer roles and committees and empower staff members with the authority to properly perform their counterpart functions.
- With senior staff, ensure the accountability of volunteers and the execution of the volunteer appointment process.
- Work with the staff and volunteers to develop and implement the strategic plan for the organization and oversee its execution.
- Ensure volunteers and volunteer leaders are provided with the necessary support, resources and assistance.
- Serve as an ambassador for Phi Mu to promote interest and active participation in volunteer and alumnae activities, encourage alumnae engagement and oversee proper communication of activities of the National Council and volunteer leadership through the communication vehicles of the organization.
Partnerships and Community/Public Relations
- Participate in and support the work of the National Council, volunteers and staff in increasing Phi Mu’s visibility and promote the Fraternity’s positive contributions and impact in our communities.
- Represent Phi Mu within the interfraternal community and overall nonprofit industry-related groups and at related meetings, serving as a spokesperson and ambassador of the organization.
- Interact effectively with university officials, parents and other Phi Mu stakeholder groups.
- Maintain and oversee the crisis communication plan and respond to emergency and risk management situations as they arise.
- Work in partnership with the Executive Director of the Phi Mu Foundation and proactively work with National Council to ensure cohesiveness as an enterprise, collaboration and appropriate communication between the two entities.
- Build and maintain collaborative opportunities and relationships.
- Oversee all inquiries from the media and universities, ensuring appropriate professionals or volunteers are designated to address media and university inquiries.
- Oversee the relationship with Phi Mu’s national philanthropy, Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.
Executive Director Profile
The ideal candidate for this position will be a dedicated leader who embraces change and is highly motivated to create a social, economic and cultural landscape that’s conducive to organizational success.
The candidate will bring a variety of experiences and attributes to Phi Mu including:
- Ability to build and cultivate trust and an effective working relationship with Phi Mu staff as well as build and maintain an effective senior management team.
- Ability to create and execute plans of work that tie to organizational success.
- Ability to build and cultivate an effective working relationship with National Council and volunteers based on confidence and trust.
- Ability to manage and lead organizational and cultural change.
- Ability to build and cultivate an effective relationship with alumnae and alumnae volunteers.
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to articulate vision and priorities to members, stakeholders and the community; communicate directly and clearly with staff and volunteers; and active listening skills.
- Ability to build and cultivate relationships and work collaboratively with strategic partners (i.e., NPC, AFA, etc.).
- Understand the importance of strategic planning and the ability to execute and implement a work plan to achieve Phi Mu’s strategic objectives.
- Financial leadership and understanding of sound financial management practices.
- Respectful, honest, transparent and ethical leadership style.
- Progressive, innovative thoughtful leader.
The Executive Director is committed to Phi Mu’s mission and vision and should have proven leadership experience. Concrete demonstrable experience includes:
- Bachelor’s degree required with advanced training and/or certifications desired.
- Minimum 10 years of management or related experience, including staff management. Quantifiable experience working with or for a volunteer organization.
- Success in working with or as part of a board of directors.
- Understanding of and appreciation for current issues within the Greek-letter and higher education environment.
- Experience and knowledge of nonprofit management, including an understanding of current issues and best practices in nonprofit management.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of financial management and personnel management.
- In-depth knowledge of the management process as it relates to growth and long-term planning.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and critically, synthesize complex issues and information and lead change management initiatives.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; persuasive and passionate communicator.
- Demonstrated passion, integrity and a positive attitude and be mission-driven and self-directed.
- Ability to travel frequently throughout the country as required for planned and unplanned travel (approximately one-third of the time), including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Executive-level management in a multi-faceted non-profit organization.
- Proven track record of working successfully with a Board of Directors Experience in industry-related trade and professional organizations or related Greek-letter organization membership or experience.
- Experience with the Carver Policy Governance Model.
The National headquarters is in Peachtree City, Georgia, just outside Atlanta. The preferred candidate will want to work at the Headquarters.
- Salary will be competitively commensurate with experience
- Relocation assistance is available if desired
- Competitive benefits package
- Membership in industry-related trade and professional organizations
Supervision and performance evaluations of this position shall be the responsibility of the Phi Mu Fraternity National Council.
For more information about Phi Mu, visit https://phimu.org. For more information about Raybourn Group International, visit www.raybourn.com.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Resumes will be accepted through September 17, 2023.